Frequently Asked Questions about Dental Implants: The Procedures!
When it comes to dental implant procedures, there are no shortages of options available for you. Each dental implant is made from separate materials and it is vital that you choose the material that best suits your jawbone structure. There are mainly 3 different stages in a dental implant procedure and they are:
- Inserting the implant into the bone
- Inserting a connector into the implant
- Attaching an artificial tooth to the connector
The overall time duration for the surgery can take around 30 minutes to an hour, and the whole procedure may be completed somewhere between 3 to 6 months.
What is the Dental Implant Surgery Like?
When you are undergoing dental implant surgery, you should know everything about what the whole procedure is going to be like and how the dentist is going to operate on you. Here is what the dental implant surgery is going to be like:
- Preparing the implant hole
- Inserting the implants
- Inserting the connector
- Attaching the artificial tooth
The entire process will not take much time, and if no complications occur then you will have healthy dental implants in no time.
What Should I Do When Recovering from Surgery?
After being treated for dental implants, you should look to recover from the surgery as soon as possible so that you can go about your life like you used to. There are certain precautions that must be taken into account in order to ensure that the dental implants are up to the mark. Here is what you should be doing when recovering from dental implant surgery:
- Take a few days off
- Don’t drive and no exercise
- Your mouth will have bruising and swelling, so put ice packs to reduce the pain
- Take the antibiotics the dentist prescribed for you
- Drink water after every 3 hours
- Avoid eating anything crunchy or hard
- Visit the dentist regularly after the surgery
- Maintain good oral health
How Do I Look after My Dental Implants?
It is important to understand that even though they may be artificial, dental implants have to be taken care of just like normal teeth. If you don’t do that, then you may face severe consequences and possible infections in the mouth. Here is what you should be doing in order to look after your dental implants:
- Brush teeth regularly
- Use fluoride toothpaste when cleaning your teeth
- Floss your teeth regularly
- Avoid smoking, it disrupts the healing process
- Don’t eat anything sweet
- Visit the dentist if you have gum inflammation
What are the Possible Complications of Dental Implants?
You should also know about the possible complications that you may have to deal with after having dental implant surgery. Here are some of the risks of dental implants:
- Affected Sinus
- Fractured lower jaw
- Damaged nerve
- Speech problems
- Gum tissue overgrowth
- Local infection
- Loose implant
- Tooth problems
- Bone loss
When you are getting dental implants, you should know all about them in order to avoid any complications after the surgery.